Juveniles Are Prohibited From Carrying Firearms in Louisiana.
ü The Laws of Louisiana prohibit a juvenile from knowingly carrying or possessing any handgun.
ü A juvenile is considered to be a person under 17 years of age.
ü It is against Louisiana Law for anyone to sell, or deliver any type of a firearm to a juvenile. Lack of knowledge of the minor’s age is not a defense.
ü However, there is no minimum age to possess rifles and shotguns in Louisiana. Federal age restrictions impose stricter limits.
- La. Rev. Stat. § 14:95.8(A). Section 14:95.8(C)excepts a juvenile from this prohibition if he or she is:
- Attending a hunter’s safety course or a firearms safety course;
- Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range;
- Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license pursuant to the laws of Louisiana;
- Traveling to or from any of the above activities while in possession of an unloaded gun;
- On real property with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property;
- At such person’s residence and who, with the permission of such person’s parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun; or
- Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person’s parent or legal guardian, provided the person carries on his or her person a copy of such written permission. [↩]
- La. Rev. Stat. § 14:91(A). [↩]
Regan Law, P.L.C. is dedicated to safeguarding the freedom, rights and liberties of all our clients. Juvenile´s accused of committing crimes that are usually identified as adult crimes, are especially vulnerable to the intricacies of the legal system.
If you or a loved one is accused of any crime, specially a juvenile, please contact our law firm immediately. The treatment and protection of a juvenile is critical. A prison can be a very dangerous place to be in and juveniles are especially vulnerable.
If your son or daughter is a minor, and is tangled in a situation that may involve possession of a firearm, do not waste time, hire a capable attorney right away. Our Team of Experts is available for a Free Consultation.
REMEMBER: In this website we do not provide legal advice, we only alert readers about important topics.